The University of Surrey offers a fully-funded three and a half year scholarship for Black scholars looking to pursue a PhD in Sociology or another related pathway. The scholarship includes a fee waiver a stipend and a research support grant of £3000, but beyond this it offers a multicomponent package of initiatives that go beyond financial support, including mentoring, internships, a summer school and training.
- Networking with other academic/professional networks.
Available evidence of impact:
- Increase in students from Black British backgrounds attending university.
- Application figures.
Links to available resources:
Implementation and potential challenges:
- Universities can signpost and link to content.
How to Use:
- Finalise objectives and target students for the scholarship.
- Use real case studies from similar universities to negotiate funding at a university level.
- Investigate relevant funding streams i.e. Access and Participation, Levelling up funding etc.
- Consider linking with partner or local institutions/organisations to deliver and co-fund.
- Framework for supporting scholars through the process and during the scholarship.